The Faculty of Law of the Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg is one of the oldest faculties of law in Germany. When the University was first founded in 1402 several chairs of law were already established.
Today the Faculty of Law is seated in the building of the “Alte Universität” (old university) which was erected after the reestablishment of the university in 1582 and is situated in Würzburg’s city center. This Renaissance square building with four wings had been completed as former main building of the university in 1591. Similar to a modern campus university nowadays, all four faculties of that time – Philosophy, Theology, Law and Medicine – were housed at the Old University. The devastating aerial bombing raid on Würzburg on March 16th 1945 destroyed the old university building leaving only its external walls.
Today the reconstructed magnificent building accommodates not only most chairs and the faculty administration, but also modern lecture rooms as well as a library of some 341.000 volumes and a cafeteria. The impressive “Neubaukirche” and its foyer are used as the University’s “Aula” (assembly hall).
The Faculty of Law consists of 20 chairs and 5 professorships, which together form 6 institutes. Some 2200 students are currently studying law at the Faculty of Law of the Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg and each year about 550 new students arrive.
In Würzburg special emphasis is put on the foundations of law such as history of law and legal philosophy (jurisprudence) on the one hand and the international and especially the European orientation of research and education on the other. This shall prepare the students for a globalized job market in an optimal way. A comprehensive companion program in European Law and a postgraduate Master studies program in European Law are complemented by a diverse foreign legal languages program and introductions into foreign laws. The faculty further offers special courses preparing students for their final exams and a program in e-learning. In the fall semester of 2007/08 an interdisciplinary program of lectures was introduced to provide intercultural competences for students of all faculties.