The Law Faculty of Würzburg, Germany, invites law students and young professionals from all Member States of the European Union to participate in a program on European Business Law, this year focussing on international commercial contracts. The first 150 participants will be granted scholarships of 300 Euro per student.
The Summer School will take place from Monday, 7th to Friday, 11th September 2020 at the Julius-Maximilians-University Würzburg, Germany.
Lectures will be held in English by members of the Wuerzburg Law Faculty. A general course on Private International Law and International Civil Procedure will be supplemented by special lectures on
- International Credit and Security
- International Soft Law and lex mercatoria
- International Sales Law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- Regulatory Competition in Corporate Law
Lectures will be accompanied by seminars and workshops where students will have an opportunity to present papers based on their national legal systems. Participants will be awarded 2 ECTS points.
Download the detailed schedule.
Download the official poster.
As a participant of the Summer School you will have to bear the following costs:
- Semester Fees of 137,90 € for the enrolment at the University of Würzburg (further information)
- Travel expenses
You do not have to pay an additional tuition fee.
The first 150 participants to apply will be granted scholarships of 300 Euro each after their stay in Würzburg. Please note that you will not be granted a scholarship if you do not take part in the program.
After your enrolment to the University of Würzburg (see "Application procedure") you could go to the information provided by the city of Würzburg or use other search engines in order to organize your accomodation. Unfortunately the Faculty of Law can not provide you with any accomodation.
In order to apply to the Summer School you must fulfill the following requirements:
- You are a citizen of a member state within the European Union.
- You have no difficulties in following lectures in the English language.
- You are/ have been a law student or have/ had a profession that is connected to European Law.
- You have obtained a university entrance qualification which entitles you to study at a German University*.
If you meet all of the requirements above you can enter the application procedure which consists of three stages.
* If you are not sure if your degree allows to enrol at a German University please check the information provided by the DAAD.
1. Application by electronic form and e-mail by 31st January 2020
Please apply by the electronic application form provided below by 31st January 2020 to state your personal and your academic or professional information first.
As a participant of the Summer School 2020 you have to enrol as a student at the Julius-Maximilians-University Würzburg during the upcoming summer semester. In order for you to be admitted we need you to send us the following documents by e-mail. Please attach the individual documents (pdf format) with the document's content and your last name in the title (e.g.: passport_"your last name") and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: "your last name"_"name of document" . All the documents must be written in Latin lettering.
- Scan of the completed and signed Application form for a module course of study.
- Scan of your valid ID or passport.
- Scan of your health insurance card and your European Health Insurance Card *1 (EHIC = the blue backside of your health insurance card).
- Scan of all your school certificates which entitle you to be admitted to a German university, including subjects and grades*2.
- Scan of your Higher Education Entrance Examination, if required in your home country.
- Scan of Enrolment certificate of your home University.
- CV covering everything up to the date of application in English or German.
*1 In case you do not already own an EHIC, you can get a temporary EHIC certificate from your insurance company. Please note that your EHIC or a temporary certificate must cover the whole semester from 01.04.2020–30.09.2020.
*2 If you are not sure if your degree allows to enrol at a German University please check the information provided by the DAAD.
Once you are in Würzburg and take part in the Winter School you will have to provide certified copys or show the originals of the following documents:
- Your school certificates which entitle you to be admitted to a German university, including subjects and grades.
- Your Higher Education Entrance Examination, if required in your home country.
- Enrolment certificate of your home University.
2. Selection process and checking of documents
After 31st January 2020 all applications will be evaluated and checked for completeness. You will be notified about the result of your application by e-mail around the end of January.
3. Enrolment to the University
If all of your documents are complete and you are admitted to the Summer School you will get further information by the administration of the University on how to enrol online. During this procedure you will have to pay the semester fees and send the final form for your enrolment. Please note that you can only take part in the Summer School and be granted a scholarship after having completed this step.
We kindly ask you to follow all of these instructions closely. The procedure is necessary in order to comply with the University's administration.
The Law Faculty of Würzburg is looking forward to your application!
* Please fill in all the blanks in order to submit your application.
Information regarding the personal data of the applicants and participants:
In order to plan and conduct this Summer School we need to collect certain personal data. By submitting your application, you give your consent to the collection of the personal data you have provided us with in accordance with Art. 6 1. 1 (a) of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) of 27 April 2016. This consent includes the use of photographs or videos taken during this Summer School for news articles, or alike, in print or online, or in order to promote upcoming summer or winter schools of the Würzburg Faculty of Law in the future. The consent may be revoked at any given point in time. Other personal data provided by you before and during this Summer School will be deleted after the Summer School and the administration in entails has been completed.
Representative of the JMU Würzburg:
The University is represented by its current president.
Am Sanderring 2
Data protection officer:
Data protection officer of the Julius-Maximilians-University Würzburg
Further information about the data collected using the website.